Thursday, January 11, 2007

Ok kids, time to backup that data

Like the title says, it's that time of year again to start regularly backing up your data. Hard drive space is cheap. Go get another drive and backup all of your important files to it.

"But Eric, I don't have anything really important. I won't miss anything."

Really? what about those important emails that you saved to your computer? Those pictures you took at that huge event? Those iChat transcripts? (for blackmail purposes).

"Hmm maybe I would like to keep all that, but only for blackmail purposes though. But it's so hard to do I don't know where all that stuff is."

If you have a MAC and an external firewire drive, you're most of the way there. You need SuperDuper!
It will make an exact working copy of your hard drive. If your drive dies or OSX takes a major dump you can get up and running off the firewire drive. Then you can copy your working backup over your broken system then your done, back up and running.

The ONLY down side is it's for OSX only. Oh and it's free for the basic backup usage.

I reorganized all my data, cleaned up the laptop hard drive, and made a backup onto one of my drives that I've dedicated to being a working backup. I got lucky last time when my drive died and I got everything back. Don't want to tempt fate again. I also used it as an excuse to get another Lacie D2 drive, that makes 3 D2 drives now.

And here it is


That stack is 748Gb of external storage.

If you have a Mac you need to go download this software and put it to use. It may just save your butt one day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home