Friday, January 13, 2006

It's a good thing I kept the old computer

I have an ancient computer (think 1996) sitting next to my tv, this computer is a Pentium II 300Mhz (Megahertz people!) with 128Mb ram (only?) and a grand total of 18Gb of storage on two hard drives...and a 19" monitor! I keep it running on some form of linux currently Mandrake 10.0 mostly for fun, not actual use because its SLOW.

The reason I'm lovin linux right now is because the hard drive in my powerbook died! No boot, no getting in to backup, no warning the drive was failing.


Todays lesson: Backup your data regularly

1. buy cds or external hard drive

2. backup data

3. discover what you forgot to backup (mail, bookmarks, pics, odd programs)

4. backup again

5. repeat in 1 month

Oh yeah these guys are going to be doing the hard drive replacement/data recovery
http://www.powerbookresq.com/
I'm upgrading from an 80Gb to 100Gb drive too
.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home